14 June 2009

Cecropia Moth - a rather large visitor

As I was on my way out the door, I was startled to see this very large bug on my door frame. She is by far the biggest bug I have ever seen, and that includes my time spend in Costa Rica!


She is a Cecropia Moth, a type of silk moth and the largest moth in North America. I know it is "she" because her antennae are less fuzzy than a male's, and her body is nice and plump.


I was delighted to see such a beautiful creature, and photograph her. She was gone when I returned ^_^

My hand is level with her.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Conductor said...

So pretty...it's amazing what beauty nature has to offer. I have never seen that kind of moth before...and I have lived in the woods for more than 15 years.

I forgot to tell you I saw 2 scissor-tailed flycatchers tonight. :D

Sleep well!

Anna said...

my gosh! so amazingly beautiful...and at your home.... we probably miss lots of interesting things just because we are rushing out the door. I really need to figure out how to sloooooowwwwwwww down. love yu! my sweet miracle!

Goals 2021

  After reflecting on last year's goals, I've settled on this year's ambitious goals. 1.     Grow your mind: Read 52 books  Th...