23 April 2006

What's your choice?

I've been thinking a lot about what drives decision making – in general, not just what drives my decisions. Julia said people always choose according to their highest desire. That makes a great deal of sense. There’s constantly a battle between desires. Paul struggled with it too. I think it boils down to two desires: one self-seeking and the other God-seeking – what Paul refers to as the war between the law of God and the law of sin. So then the question I ask myself is not “why did I choose that?” but “what is my highest desire?” To please myself or to honor God? I know which one I want to choose! But I know that often times that is not the desire I act on…


“For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am fleshy, sold under sin. For that which I do, I do not own: for not what I will, this I do; but what I hate, this I practice. But if what I do not will, this I practice, I consent to the law that it is right. Now then it is no longer I that do it, but the sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, good does not dwell: for to will is there with me, but to do right I find not. For I do not practice the good that I will; but the evil I do not will, that I do. But if what I do not will, this I practice, it is no longer I that do it, but the sin that dwells in me. I find then the law upon me who will to practice what is right, that with me evil is there. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man: but I see another law in my members, warring in opposition to the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which exists in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me out of this body of death? I thank God, through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then I myself with the mind serve God’s law; but with the flesh sin’s law.”

Romans 7: 14-25 – Darby Translation - not sure why I chose Darby. You might try reading an easier to understand version.


Here's an actual update on my life...
Last night was a lot of fun. Megann, Jeremy, and I watched Narnia . Then Myranda joined us for a night of stargazing - a bit cold, but very nice just the same. Today, I sat outside and studied organic (yay! go me! pass! pass! pass!) and got a really wierd sunburn. I was in the shade! Oh well... I already have a lot of aloe. Then we went to barnes and noble where i was sorely tempted to buy multiple books ( namely blue like jazz as a gift for a friend... or Unveiled... a Francine Rivers book) but resisted all urges to spend money! Sister Act 2 and Singing in the Rain wrapped up the night... now it's early morning and very much my bed time. Love to my family. Love to my friends.

No comments:

Goals 2021

  After reflecting on last year's goals, I've settled on this year's ambitious goals. 1.     Grow your mind: Read 52 books  Th...