10 April 2006

Running Naked.

I’ve been reading Searching for God Knows What, by Donald Miller, and here’s what I’ve been thinking/learned in the book…

Humans are made to be relational.  

In the beginning, we were always in direct community with God…  I wonder how that must have been.  What would it be like to run around naked all day in a perfect garden knowing that Someone loved you completely, totally, 100%.   When Moses talked with God, Moses face became so radiant that he had to wear a veil…. What must have Adam and Eve looked like?  Glowing in God’s glory?  No wonder they felt naked after that relationship was broken.  Not that God loved them any less once they sinned… it’s just that what’s pure, holy, and perfect cannot mix with the foul sin of rebellion.  Suddenly they felt all alone because that direct communication was cut… what must that have been like?  I guess I can barely have a clue… I can’t even imagine what it would feel like to be so comfortable with anyone that I’d run around naked and it wouldn’t even bother me.  God knew every single little thing about Adam and Eve and they were completely comfortable with Him.   The fall must have been the most horribly depressing event… suddenly, you realize you messed up and you’re alone.  Completely alone.  That comforting and accepting presence is gone leaving an emptiness we’re still trying to fulfill.  I guess this is what relates to my life right now.  

My happiness is often centered on what others are thinking of me.  I think it’s like that for most people: unhappiness occurs when relationships are going south.  I’m happy when things are going well with others.  Sometimes, when I get so worked up with school and clubs, I start feeling lonely because I didn’t make time for God or my friends.  I guess what I’m really searching for is complete acceptance like what man had at the dawn of the age.  I want people to love me because I feel incomplete without love.  So now I’m learning to be content with God’s love, which is a million billion times better than anyone else’s in the entire world and completely pure.  That explains mankind’s emotions.  We’re searching for the relationship that was lost.  Fear, envy, jealousy, lust…The Holy Spirit enables us to have God in our hearts which is a step closer to be in perfect communion with God.  I guess heaven is that relationship with God, and Jesus is the key.  Hmm… random thoughts.  It’s all about relationships.  That’s why I’m so obsessed with them now.  Not sure any of that made sense…

1 comment:

Ó Seasnáin said...

this was really an interesting piece. I agree, we often forget how good it can/will be, and we get totally focused on the now (what can I get now?). Very cool thoughts!

Goals 2021

  After reflecting on last year's goals, I've settled on this year's ambitious goals. 1.     Grow your mind: Read 52 books  Th...