17 June 2011

Memories of Goodbye


I just finished my 2 week oncology rotation and seeing all the recently diagnosed cancer patients reminded me of my own dear Corky. Corky died of lymphoma in my senior year of high school. He was a good little friend and my loyal defender. The decision to pursue chemotherpy or end of life care is one of the most difficult choices we ever faced. Knowing when to say goodbye was even more difficult.

This picture was taken shortly before he was euthanized. We knew when it was time. He got that look...that far off look I see in some of my patients that are close to passing. But it's always hard - even when you know "it's time." My heart breaks for all my clients going through this now. I want to give them a hug and let them know that someday these painful memories of the end will fade in comparison to memories of all the happy years of wagging tails and puppy kisses.



Peace and love, y'all!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Goals 2021

  After reflecting on last year's goals, I've settled on this year's ambitious goals. 1.     Grow your mind: Read 52 books  Th...