14 March 2006

Oh, I remember

Pre-vet symposium was refreshing. I remember why I'm taking organic and other classes I don't particularly care for. For a while, I've been wondering if 6 more years of school, $100,000 in student loans, and sacrificing a bit of the social aspect of life is really worth it. Do I have the passion and dedication required to even get there? What else am I equipped to do? Maybe this isn't where God wants me. But pre-vet symposium really confirmed my mission in life.

"Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowlege and skills for the benefit of society through
  • the protection of animal health
  • the relief of animal suffering
  • the conservation of animal resources
  • the promotion of public health
  • the advancement of medical knowledge

I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterirnary medical ethics.

I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence."

Someday I hope to take that oath. I don't know if I'll work in a general practice or in a lab somewhere, but I want to help animals and people through my work. I just want to help. I want to know what veterinarians know. I want to be the person who gives a little boy's first puppy his first set of vaccinations and smiles as the boy lovingly takes that puppy home. I want to be the person who puts her arm around the old man who says goodbye to his beloved friend for the last time. That's what I want almost more than anything. It hurts. So that's why I'm here, and I'll do what it takes to follow that dream. Even if it means never dating a single person until I'm 30 or studying when I want to be with friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are officially a nicer person than me.
Well... maybe. But definately more of an idealist.
:p
I'm going to go wake you up for breakfast now.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. My IR class last spring did that for me and last semester reconfirmed it. Only I don't know what profession I want to go into, only that I want to travel the world and use my knowledge of security studies to help. And one day, I want to give other students the same excitement about IR that Dr. Purvis gives to me.

Goals 2021

  After reflecting on last year's goals, I've settled on this year's ambitious goals. 1.     Grow your mind: Read 52 books  Th...