22 May 2018

Proverbs

This summer, I am working my way through the Proverbs.  These were written by King Solomon as guidance for his children and the young adults in his life.  I certainly could use some wisdom.   In each chapter of Proverbs, I'm working through these steps:

  1. Pray first.  I pray that God will open my eyes and help me to gain and apply the wisdom.  
  2. Content:
    1. I summarize each verse or section of the chapter. (Google BSF homiletics)
    2. I look for particular themes that I chose to focus on
      1. Attributes of God
      2. Success/Blessing vs Destruction
      3. Fools/Scoffers - recognizing them by their behavior, responding to a fool
      4. Money
      5. Work
      6. Marriage/Love
      7. Worry/Stress/Fear vs. Peace
      8. Family/Parenting
      9. Heart/Mind
      10. Words/Speech 
      11. Sin/Evil
      12. Wisdom/Knowledge
  3. What is the overall principle? The purpose?  Write questions to apply.
  4. What will I apply to my life? Specifically.
  5. Pray again.
I am particularly interested in reading about fools.   The original Hebrew had many words for fools and each had a slightly different meaning.  However, I'm going to be looking at fool as a general term.  The answers I seek are... Are there people who truly are "fools?" How do I recognize them? How do I respond to them?  Is it even right to call them a fool?   

I suppose there have been difficult people around for all time.  I'm sure Solomon dealt with more than his fair share since he was a king.  I can think of a few people who have caused me frustration, anger, or pain because of poor choices/responses/behavior.  This is my quest to figure out how I should behave.    I'm also doing Internal Family Systems therapy during my therapy sessions.  It's quite interesting, but that's a subject  for another time....

No comments:

Goals 2021

  After reflecting on last year's goals, I've settled on this year's ambitious goals. 1.     Grow your mind: Read 52 books  Th...