12 June 2010

Beer Butt Chicken


First I prepared the chickens. I trimmed the fat, rinsed the birds off, and spread poultry seasoning (I bought at a store in St. Charles) all over the birds. Then I went to heat up the coals (well actually I called Chase, whined until he came home, and watched while he lit the coals). Notice the two beers on the counter - an integral part of beer butt chicken :)


Now that the coals are nice and grey, open the beer cans, "discard" about a quarter of the beer from each can, and shove them up the rears of the birds. Then sit the birds up on the can and put them on the grill.


I let them cook for about 2 hours (internal temperature of 170) and they turned out just magnificently tender and juicy!

The meal: beer butt chicken, baked beans, peas, corn on the cob, pasta salad, bbq chips, and brownies.


All in all, it was a delicious meal, and I was happy to put to use many of the platters and such that we recieved as wedding presents.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

ibrown84 said...

Hey Katie, I wanted to know if you can help me. I just got DX with collagenous gastritis. Its an extremely rare disease. One of your friends on here named mrb has it also. If you have a way to contact her can you please send her my e-mail address It's jiggaman51484@hotmail.com. I'm realy sick and my doctors are stumped it would help to have someone else to compare notes with. Thanks for your help God bless -Isaac

mrb said...

Hello, Isaac! I have had collagenous gastritis now for a few years. I receive care at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I would highly recommend their facility, or another well-known clinic such as Cleveland Clinic or Johns Hopkins, for such a rare GI disease. Unfortunately, there is no specific, effective treatment for the condition. Most of the time, collagenous gastritis is associated with another condition. In my case, treating my lupus more aggressively has resulted in a calming of my stomach symptoms. The most effective treatments have been very high dose prednisone and cellcept. I also have made behavioral modifications, such as eating very soft foods that do not scratch and rub against the inflamed stomach lining. Unfortunately, this is a disease that doesn't really go away, it can only be managed. For that reason, I would recommend that you or your doctors call to consult with Dr. Murray at the Mayo Gastroenterology Clinic. The number is (507) 266-9094. It is important to try lots of treatments and find the ones that work for your unique case.

Goals 2021

  After reflecting on last year's goals, I've settled on this year's ambitious goals. 1.     Grow your mind: Read 52 books  Th...